10th Annual White Salmon River Fest ~ Wednesday, July 15th, 2015
The White Salmon River Fest and Symposium celebrates the White Salmon River and the environment, community, and history that surrounds it. The river is an invaluable social, recreational, and economic benefit to those who call it home.
The River Fest and Symposium aims to gather the local boating and non-boating community for a day of celebration, education, legendary whitewater, food, dance, and more.
In celebration of the White Salmon River there will be guest speakers, a community raft float, kayak clinics, a kayak slalom, and a party at Big Man’s BBQ! Our goal is to provide an educational resource for the professionals that work on the river and the community members that live nearby.
Since the removal of Condit Dam in 2012, the event’s symposium portion has become the premier resource for the most up-to-date information on the decommission process. The changes occurring in the river canyon as a result of this groundbreaking hydropower removal project are of epic proportions. Join us to learn more about what is happening on your favorite Pacific Northwest River.
2015 White Salmon River Fest and Symposium schedule:
• 9 AM – 1:30 PM: White Salmon Community Raft Float
$25.00/person (reserve now: 877-390-9445 or click here)
Meet at Wet Planet Whitewater Center at 9.00 AM for ‘State of the River’ presentations by: Giani Benevento (long time Raft Guide), Lloyd DeKay (Geologist), Brady Allen (Fish Biologist), and Jeanette Burkhardt (Yakama Fisheries)
• 10:00 AM: Raft the Lower-Lower section of the White Salmon River, from Husum to Columbia River – a chance for the community to experience the beautiful canyons and restorative effects of nature on this previously dammed section of river.
2:30 – 4:30 PM Restoration Party at Northwestern Park
· Jeanette Burkhardt (Yakima/Klickitat Fisheries Project) invites volunteers to help perform various tasks at the restoration site on the Southwest side of Northwestern Park, such as removing sleeves from saplings.
2 – 6 PM – Kayak & SUP Clinics - beginner and intermediate level – free
• Demo kayaks provided by the Kayak Shed
· Kayak Clinics on the Middle White Salmon
· Surfing, S-Turns, and Ferry Kayak Clinics on the Lower White Salmon
· Kayak Rolling Clinic for Youth and Beginners in Wet Planet pool (2-4 PM)
· SUP Clinic on the Lower White Salmon with Drew Eastman
6 – 7 PM Husum Kayak Slalom organized by Max Blackburn and Devin Kuh
• Viewable from Husum Bridge
6 – 8 PM – White Salmon Paddle Party at Big Man’s Rotisserie
• Food provided at normal cost
• Music by the High Prairie Ramblers
• SHARE the White Salmon River
• Skamania/Klickitat County Noxious Weed Control Programs/Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area
• Stream table courtesy of River Restoration Northwest
History of the Festival
The annual White Salmon RiverFest and Symposium began as a Headwaters Institute seminar, created by Wet Planet co-owner Jaco Klinkenberg in 2006. The goal was to increase the knowledge of the river system for local professional river guides, boaters and community members.
Please contact the coordination team if you or your company would like to participate in the facilitation of this year’s event. We would love volunteers and supporters from all over the river community!
Put July 15th, 2015 on your calendar and subscribe to our Twitter for more updates!