Planning a Whitewater Rafting or Kayaking Trip in Oregon and Washington
Deciding to go whitewater rafting or kayaking is the easy part. However, if you haven’t done it before, planning a trip takes a bit of preparation. The easiest way to plan your whitewater adventure is to give us a call at Wet Planet (877-390-9445). We will be happy to answer any questions and help you with the process of planning your trip. In the meantime, here are a few questions and suggestions to help you get your trip started:
1. Who is going? What are their ages?
Most of our trips require kids to be at least 10 years old.
- White Salmon River
- Tieton River
- Klickitat River
- Rogue River multi-day raft trip
- Owyhee River multi-day raft trip
Stepping up the adventure on our Class V rivers requires you to be a bit older, and preferably with rafting experience.
Families looking to get on the river will love our mellower multi-day options, and kid's kayak school.
- Lower Salmon multi-day raft trip: 5 year old minimum
- Hell's Canyon of the Snake River multi-day raft trip: 7 year old minimum
- Kid's Kayak Course: 9 year old minimum
2. What type of river trip are you looking for? A scenic float or an intense whitewater adventure?
While all of the rivers we run are scenic (many even federally designated Wild & Scenic), the Klickitat rafting trip is one of our most popular, mellower scenic river trips. Each of the multi-day raft trips offers spectacular views all day, every day. If it's scenery you want, you can't beat spending 3-6 days immersed in it! For the adrenaline junkies, you can't get much more intense whitewater than on one of our Class V rafting trips.
3. Do you want to customize your trip?
Since every guest is looking for a unique experience, we offer several ways to personlize you ad your group's rafting trip.
- A riverside barbecue is always a hit after an afternoon of physical exertion on the river.
- You might like to camp at our headquarters the night before your trip, or stay at a comfortable lodge or bed and breakfast. Each option will make your stay in the Columbia River Gorge smooth and affordable.
- We even do Yoga Kayaking courses and Whitewater Wine trips forn a completely personalized experience.
- Check out our groups page or give us a call for ideas or more information.
4. When do you want to go rafting?
Rivers flow according to their own schedule. Luckily, most are predictable and flow steady from April - October. We offer these options during this entire period:
- Daily departures on the White Salmon River.
- Kayak courses and trips for beginner to advanced paddlers.
From April-mid summer (June/July) we use the spring run-off and the end of the rainy season to raft on other rivers in the area:
- The Wind River, Klickitat River, and the Farmlands flow during this time.
- Our Guide School runs in April, offering a deeper rafting experience for the river enthusiast.
Just when the summer is coming to an end, we use scheduled releases to continue rafting rivers in the northwest:
- The Tieton River runs in September from our private base camp in Yakima.
Our multi-day white water rafting trips have scheduled departures throughout the spring and summer. In the winter months, we offer international whitewater rafting and kayaking trips to a variety of destinations, like Costa Rica and Peru. If you’re interested in the adventure of a lifetime, just pick a time of year, give us a call, and let us help plan a memorable trip for you, your family or your friends.
5. Make a reservation:
Reservations are recommended for all Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting trips or kayaking courses. It is possible to arrive and jump on a trip that still has space without reservations, but our trips can also be full. In general, you should make reservations as soon as you know when you would like to join us on the river. Weekends in the summer fill up quickly, often months in advance. On weekdays, it is frequently possible to book your trip with just a couple of days notice. To make reservations, just contact us at Wet Planet or reserve online!
6. Show up at the Wet Planet Headquarters:
Once your reservations are complete, all you need to do is arrive at the Wet Planet Headquarters with your group at the time of your scheduled trip time (check here for directions). We will take care of everything else from there, so you can relax and enjoy your whitewater adventure. For our multi-day trips and international trips, we will provide you with detailed itineraries and timetables to help you in planning all of your travel arrangements. If you need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
|Klickitat River||III+||10+||April - June|
|Hood River||IV (V at high water - previous experience required)||16+||April - May|
|Wind River||IV - V (previous experience required)||18+||April - June|
|The Farmlands||IV - V (previous experience required)||18+||May - July|
|White Salmon River||III - IV||10+||April - October|
Groups & Packages
|White Water and Wine Rafting Trip||III - IV||21+||May - September|
|Boats + Beds ~ Lodging Packages||III/IV||10+||April - September|
|Group Reservations||Varies by River||10 +||April - September|
|Raft and BBQ!||Varies by River||10 +||April - September|
|Wedding Parties||Varies by River||10 +||December - September|