ACA Kayak Instructor Course
Dates: May 12-16, 2014 - 5 days
The ACA Kayak Instructors Course is for whitewater kayakers interested working as professional kayak instructors or simply developing proficiency in kayak teaching techniques. This instructor training course leads to certification as a whitewater kayak instructor by the American Canoe Association, or the ACA. The ACA has created the nation's premier teaching certification program for kayaking. With more than 40 years experience, the ACA, has developed a specific and proven set of paddle sports' best practices, inspiring participants to share their experience and knowledge of kayaking in the safest, most effective way.
This course will combine on-water demonstrations, practical's and presentations in a variety of environments with discussion sessions on teaching methodology, skill development and peer feedback. You'll learn how to reach the most challenging students and maintain a fun and safe environment at all times. Don't be surprised if you walk away from this 40-hour training having refined your own technique more and learned new ways to build upon your own whitewater kayaking skills.
The course will consist of an Instructor Development Workshop (IDW) and Instructor Certification Exam (ICE). Participants will also be required to:
- Perform paddling skills and demonstrate skills clearly and consistently
- Demonstrate effective teaching skills
- Demonstrate technical knowledge of kayaking
- Demonstrate proper safety and rescue ability
- Demonstrate effective group/course management and positive interpersonal skills
- Must be at least 18 years old to participate
- Be (or become) a member of the ACA and the Safety, Education and Instruction Committee (SEIC)
- Full completion of the course (attendance, homework, exams, etc)
- Maintain sufficient first aid and CPR certifications
Please note that attendance alone will not guarantee certification. Participants must demonstrate skills and pass the ICE in order to be recognized by the ACA. Course will run 8:30 am - 6:00 pm all days with some evening work.
Dive deeper into your own kayaking by learning the methods and techniques used by the nation's best instructors and call us today to reserve you spot for the ACA Kayak Instructor Training Course.
|River Rescue (RRC Pro)||May 9 - 11||$325|
|ACA Kayak Instructor Course||May 12-16, 2014 - 5 days||$500|
|River Rescue (SRT-1 & WRT)||2014: April 18-20, May 16-18, June 20-22, September 26-28||$325 / $370|
|Guide School||2014: April 5-6, 12-13, & 26-29 (2 weekends followed by a 4-day overnight river trip)||$695.00|